School Meals are Changing - New School Meal Requirements
You may have heard that there will be new requirements for school meals imposed by the federal government. The new requirements are great news for our students! They will help Moravia CSD build on the work we are already doing to provide more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and healthier main dishes in our school cafeterias.
Some of the New Requirements Include
· Increasing the serving size of fruits (9-12) and vegetables (K-12)
· Reducing the sodium in meals over the next 10 years
· Setting calorie maximums for the first time
· Increasing whole grains
· Limiting the amount of meat/meat alternatives and grains
Students will now be required to have ½ cup of fruit or vegetable on their tray for it to count as a full meal. Anything less than a full meal will be charged as individual items. We plan to offer a variety of fruits and vegetables daily to give students more options in the hopes that choosing fruits and vegetables will be easy.
Schools are now limited on how much meat/meat alternate and grains that can be offered. This means that some of the main dishes may not be as large as they have been in the past. Remember, though, there will be more fruits and vegetables available to fill out the meal and ensure students have plenty to eat!
In Moravia, we have already made progress toward meeting the new requirements.
What We Are Already Doing:
· Fresh fruit and vegetables are served often.
· Sandwiches are served on whole wheat bread and rolls.
· Pasta served is whole grain.
· Main dishes are changing to include lower sodium options.
· Dark green and orange vegetables are served on a weekly basis.
· More beans have been incorporated into some of the recipes.
· Chocolate milk offered is now fat free
We’ll face some challenges to meet the new requirements on a tight budget, but our school nutrition program will work hard to make these healthy changes for our students and make each meal something our students will enjoy!
How Can You Help?
Parents have the opportunity to support healthy behaviors with suggestions for healthy class party snacks and can use provided information to improve healthy food choices at home.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We are here to help!