Parents’ Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security|
The Moravia Central School District is committed to ensuring student privacy in accordance with local, state and federal regulations and district policies. To this end and pursuant to U.S. Department of Education (DOE) regulations (Education Law §2-d), the district is providing the following Parents’ Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security:
Additional information is available on the New York State Education Department website: NYSED Parents' Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
- A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial or marketing purposes.
- Parents/guardians have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record, including any student data maintained by the Moravia Central School District.
- State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the state is available for public review in an Excel file at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/sirs/documentation/NYSEDstudentData.xlsx. Parents/ guardians may also obtain a copy of this list by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234.
- Parents/guardians have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed to Superintendent of Schools John Birmingham at (315) 497-2670.