District 2019-2022 Strategic Plan
A Strategic Planning Committee made up of teachers, students, Board of Education members and school administrators worked together this year to draft a new mission, vision and set of core beliefs, as well as updated performance targets and immediate priorities for the Moravia Central School District’s 2018-2021 strategic plan.
“This planning process provided a great opportunity for us in Moravia to recalibrate our approach and reinforce our priorities,” Superintendent of Schools John Birmingham said. “The educational landscape is constantly changing, and we need to evolve right along with it.”
The district’s newly articulated mission is to “nurture, inspire and empower all students to discover their passions and achieve personal success.” The vision, meanwhile, is a “world-class education rooted in our community’s values.”
Moravia Central School District’s core beliefs:
- All students learn.
- Character: We are honest and act with integrity.
- Work ethic: We work hard with purpose.
- Growth mindset: Grit, perseverance and optimism are building blocks to success.
- Innovation: We innovate and creatively problem solve.
- Personalized pathways: A rich, diverse and challenging environment encourages multiple pathways to success.
- Caring: We embrace the dignity of all and respect diversity.
- Safety: We provide a safe learning environment for all.
- Shared responsibility: Student, home and community involvement is essential to learning.
- Students are the priority.
- Support the social and emotional wellness of all students.
- Offer diverse, personalized pathways that result in more students graduating with rigorous outcomes.
- Improve vertical and horizontal alignment PK-12 through better communication and increased collaboration.
Strategies to achieve priorities:
- Maximizing on-time graduation rates by identifying and addressing systemic issues related to dropout.
- Identifying and addressing the root causes of chronic absence and tardiness.
- Improving kindergarten readiness, including exploring the feasibility of implementing full-day universal pre-K.
- Evaluating the current schedule and implement improvements focused on student learning.)
- Providing an innovative technology service that addresses maintenance, hardware, support and training.
- Improving student transitions from elementary to middle to the high school.
- Increasing parent and community involvement.