Subject: Coronavirus Preventative Measures
Date: March 5, 2020
Dear parents, guardians and community members,
Moravia CSD is aware of the dangers associated with the novel coronavirus and is taking preventative measures to help control its potential spread in our region.
While there are no current known cases of the virus in central New York, the safety of our students is always our top priority. In that vein, the district has been doing extra cleaning and disinfecting in our buildings to control the potential spread of the virus. The district is also in close contact with our local public health agencies.
Like the flu or common cold, symptoms of the coronavirus can include fever, cough, trouble breathing and shortness of breath. There are no current vaccines to protect against the virus, however there are preventative measures students, staff and family members can take to help minimize its potential spread. These include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing. If you use a tissue, throw it in the trash.
- Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
While the district hopes the virus doesn’t make its way to our region, we are aware of the potential risks, will continue to monitor the situation, and will take the necessary preventative steps to ensure the safety and health of our students.
John P. Birmingham
Superintendent of Schools