The Moravia Central School District is a small, rural district in central New York serving approximately 923 students in kindergarten through grade 12. The district occupies two school buildings in the village of Moravia, in Cayuga County, about 50 miles southwest of Syracuse. The district map includes the towns of Locke, Moravia, Niles, Scott, Sempronius, Skaneateles, Summerhill and Venice.
The district has won multple awards for its educational opportunities, but also has excellent options for extracurricular activities. The theater, music and art programs offer several opportunities to showcase students' work throughout the school year, and the Blue Devils sports teams have won several state championships.
Centrally located in the midst of the Finger Lakes, the Moravia Central School District is ideally located near the cities of Auburn, Cortland and Ithaca; Syracuse and Binghamton are each a one-hour drive away and host a number of theaters, museums and musical offerings.
Moravia is also close to a number of institutions of higher education, including Cornell University, Syracuse University, Wells College, Ithaca College, Le Moyne College, SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Cortland and several community colleges.
- A variety of businesses within the school district boundaries offer employment opportunities in manufacturing, agriculture, transportation and service-oriented industries.
- The area also offers numerous nearby opportunities for golfing, bowling, hiking, camping and other sporting and recreational activities. Recreational sites include Fillmore Glen State Park, Fillmore Golf Course, Sportsman's Club and several of the Finger Lakes.
- Community-based activities include the Horizon Performances concert series throughout the year and the Moravia Farmer's Market from June through November.
- A variety of cultural and educational opportunities are available in the nearby cities of Ithaca, Auburn, Cortland, and Syracuse.
- Historic Powers Library has provided continuous literary service to the area since 1880 and is a part of the Finger Lakes Library System.
- Several churches provide service to a number of denominations including Baptist, Catholic, Episcopal and Methodist.
- Local public safety services include village fire, police, and ambulance departments.
- The district includes the birthplace and historic boyhood home of Millard Fillmore, the 13th president of the United States. There is an annual Fillmore Days celebration each summer, which features bathtub races, live music, local vendors and more.
The mission of the educational community of Moravia is to nurture, inspire and empower all students to discover their passions and achieve personal success.
NYS Report Card
New York State Education Law requires school districts to make report card and accountability report information available on district websites. Click here to view Moravia's report card.